After you are diagnosed with COPD, doctor visits are important and regular parts of your treatment plan.
In this chapter you will learn:
- What to expect at follow-up visits with health care providers
- The importance of preparing for your visits
- How health care providers assess your overall health status
- The value of pulmonary function tests and other diagnostic tests
- Information about being in the hospital and advanced care
Before your doctor visit you may find it helpful to complete certain worksheets located in Appendix C. The most helpful may be the CAT: COPD Assessment Test. This is a simple 8 question survey. It takes only a few minutes to complete. It will provide you and your health care provider with a better understanding of your symptoms and limitations. By filling out the CAT and bringing it with you, you and your doctor will have a better idea of how you are doing. You will also understand better how your treatments are working, and if changes should be made to your treatment plan.